Saturday, April 16, 2011

Im halfway there to getting the hang of this blogging thing: I'll be all the way there when I am posting pictures that aren't dark and barely visible... but I want to talk on about the joys of today.

Lately Saturdays haven't been very good business days... (along with most other days, in this harsh economy) but today was different. It began with a couple of drop-in knitters.... Julie and Jan... and delightful conversation. Then an alpaca farmer brought me two fleeeces with a pleasant arrangement. I will spin a pound, take a pound, spin a pound, and so on. There is some lovely white that should take dye beautifully: hand-dyed for the summer, perhaps to match the Romney/Cormo from Wednesday. The fleeces are lovely... he wants the dark grey... and will get some of the white as well... no money trading hands, and each of us satisfied with the arrangement. (sigh of contentment.)

Two customers came in, one from Hamburg, one from Fredonia, delightful women who forgave the messiness of the shop (kids, spinning, cats.. oy!) each finding yarn and accessories to delight them. YAY! My good friend and landlord was in, and I was able to give him an installation of rent, and engage in delightful conversation. He trimmed the fur on Purl, who, although not delighted during, seemed rather pleased afterward. She is a beautiful cat, but NOT particularly sociable. She thinks she smells sulphur in my presence.

Finally, I was able to return home to a good cup of brewed coffee (Thanks to husband Perry) and to get outside between raindrops to plant a couple of dozen potato plants. I've never had luck with potatos, but this could be the year!

This has been a long harsh winter. Three deaths, Dick, an old friend, Greg, a former student, and Terry, another old friend.... passed on, most recently Terry. Another friend lost a daughter, and still others I know are dealing with difficult illnesses. I struggle myself trying to break old habits to deal with Type 2 Diabetes. The two surest signs of spring, Pesach and Easter are imminent, and with them I hope to feel the rejuvenation of spring: To watch the natural world bursting through the dirt, fighting off the stagnation of winter. I hope to match them in energy and enthusiasm: To mourn the dead, attend to the ailments, and move forward in joy. On, today, to carding, spinning, knitting, and singing, to prepare to sing tomorrow at UU. I will celebrate the sound of rain on the windows, knowing that it is the catalyst of spring. Joy to all!

No comments: